Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Switchfoot.


One of the highlights of my life was meeting Switchfoot by sneaking into a meet-and-greet after a concert in Baltimore, two summers ago. More specifically, one of the highlights of my life was sitting 3 feet in front of Jon Foreman during an acoustic performance on a random street corner in Baltimore, two summers ago. My friend Jess and I sat outside of Switchfoot's tour bus, waiting for Jon Foreman to come out and play for a group of about 30 to 40 people. He asked us to make set lists for him, and he played whatever we asked him to. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life.


Switchfoot is one of the most popular Christian bands out today. They have received various music awards, including Dove awards and Top In Rock's 2009 Best Christian Artist. Switchfoot tours all around the country, and in my opinion, they put on a heck of a good show. Here's the lowdown:


Switchfoot: The term "Switchfoot" comes from surfing. Switchfoot's band members all enjoy surfing, and the name, for them, stuck.


Originated in: San Diego, CA. 


Genre: Switchfoot has been categorized as Alternative Rock, Christian Rock, and Pop-punk, to name a few; it's your distinction.


Albums: The Legend of Chin (1997), New Way to be Human (1999), Learning to Breathe (2000), The Beautiful Letdown (2003), Nothing is Sound (2005), Oh! Gravity (2006), and Hello Hurricane (2009). Switchfoot's newest album, Vice Verses, is due out in 2011 (Rethink, Columbia, Sony BMG, lowercase people, and Atlantic records).


Mission: Other than producing Christian music, Switchfoot is involved in a lot of side projects. One of their biggest and most popular contributions has been to the organization To Write Love On Her Arms. TWLOHA is an organization aiming to help people struggling with depression, self mutilation, suicide, and addiction. TWLOHA's aim is to get people with these kinds of problems to realize that someone out there cares for them. Switchfoot supports various other causes like the ONE Campaign and Habitat for Humanity, and also works raising money for homeless organizations and child's foundations. Above all, Switchfoot aims to produce music with an open mind, and to reach not only Christians, but everyone else in between.


Tour: Switchfoot is curently touring, supporting their latest album "Hello Hurricane". Unfortunately, their last concert in the area for this tour was this past Sunday at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia, which sadly, I missed *tear*. For a list of the rest of the venues for their tour, visit http://www.switchfoot.com/switchfoot/c/tourdates. If you've never seen Switchfoot live, I encourage you to; it will be one show you won't soon forget. Switchfoot never disappoints; they put on an awesome, moving, entertaining show. 


Websitehttp://www.switchfoot.com/switchfoot/index.php: View videos, pictures, tour dates, buy merch, and keep up with Switchfoot's latest projects.


The Christian Aspect?: The title of my blog is "Your Love is a Song", which, as I mentioned in my first blog post, is a song by Switchfoot. For me, music is very moving. And that is why I chose to name my blog "Your Love is a Song"; God's love is a song. His love is moving, beautiful, and we are so undeserving of it.


"Your Love is a Song" is one of my favorite songs off of "Hello Hurricane". The song itself is pretty self-explanatory. To me, it talks about waking up every day with your eyes wide open, seeing all the beauty that God has created. Here are the lyrics:


I hear you breathing in
Another day begins
The stars are falling out
My dreams are fading now, fading out

I've been keeping my eyes wide open
I've been keeping my eyes wide open

Oh, your love is a symphony
All around me
Running through me
Oh, your love is a melody
Underneath me
Running to me
All your love is a song

The dawn is fire bright
Against the city light
The clouds are glowing now
The moon is blacking out, blacking out

So I've been keeping my mind wide open
I've been keeping my mind wide open
Yeah

Oh, your love is a symphony
All around me
Running through me
Oh, your love is a melody
Underneath me
Running to me

Oh, your love is a song
Your love is a song
Oh, your love is a song
Your love is strong

With my eyes wide open
I've got my eyes wide open
I've been keeping my hopes unbroken
Yeah, yeah

Oh, your love is a symphony
All around me
Running through me
Oh, your love is a melody
Underneath me
Running to me
Your love is a song

Yeah, yeah

Your love is my remedy
All your love is a song



My favorite part of the song is the chorus: "Oh, your love is a symphony, All around me, Running through me. Oh, your love is a melody, Underneath me, Running to me; oh, your love is a song." God's love is just like a symphony; it's LOUD. I see God's love wherever I go; it's so apparent to me, and so strong. And God's love is like a melody. A melody, in music, is the part of a song that is the boldest, the part that everyone sings along to. God's love is bold; it stands out, like the melody in a song. This song saying that God's love is everywhere; around you, in you, and flowing through you.  This song just dictates that: that God's love is everywhere; we just have to keep our eyes open for it.


I encourage you to listen to "Your Love is a Song" in the video posted below. Comment and tell me what you think.


Enjoy :) God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment