Saturday, September 25, 2010

Anberlin.


Anberlin is a Christian band that I personally don't listen to very often. But they have a great sound and a great message in their music, so that is why I chose them as my next Christian band to cover.

Anberlin: There are a few reasons as to why Anberlin's name is in fact, Anberlin. But, the name was formed by lead singer Stephen Christian. Christian says that the band was sitting around trying to think of names, when he mentioned that he wanted to name his daughter Anberlin. The band was named Anberlin under the pretense that someone would think of a better name sooner or later; no one ever did, and the name stuck.

Originated in: Winter Haven, Florida.

Genre: Alternative.

Albums: Blueprints for the Black Market (2003), Never Take Friendship Personal (2005), Cities (2007), New Surrender (2008), Dark is The Way, Light is a Place (2010) (Tooth & Nail Records/Universal Republic Records).

Mission: A lot of the media has classified Anberlin over the years as a Christian-rock band. Anberlin, though, does not classify themselves as a strictly-Christian band. Though, some song lyrics contain Christian references. Stephen Christian says, ". I don't care who listens to our records. If it helps people in whatever circumstances they're in, that's amazing..." and also remarks, "[My faith] affects every single aspect of my life, but I'm not a preacher, I'm an entertainer" (Wikipedia 2010). The band members are Christians, and live their lives in a Christ-like manner. Anberlin is out to make good music with a good message.

Tour: Anberlin is currently on tour promoting their newest album "Dark is The Way, Light is a Place". Bands featured include Crash Kings and Civil Twilight. The closest venue is at the TLA in Philadelphia on October 29th. A list of tour dates is online at http://www.anberlin.com/. Tickets are on sale now.

Websitehttp://www.anberlin.com/. Log on to see a list of tour dates and to buy tickets. 

The Christian Aspect?: Music for me, is extremely powerful. When I hear something that I really like, like an acoustic guitar or a bluesy harmonica, I can't stop listening to it. In my life, there are rare instances where I hear a song and it just strikes a chord with me, and I can feel it down into my soul. "The Unwinding Cable Car" by Anberlin, is one of those songs. 

My boyfriend is constantly making me mix CD's, trying to expand my taste in music, and the last CD included The Unwinding Cable Car. He had previously told me that it was one of his favorite songs, and after listening to it, I can see why. The first time I heard it, it came close to breaking my heart. It's strange how music touches me sometimes; it doesn't have to be anything special or complex. The Unwinding Cable Car starts off with two acoustic guitars harmonizing, and it is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. The lyrics, as well as the music, are extremely touching. 

The lyrics of The Unwinding Cable Car definitely contain a Christian aspect. To me, the lyrics talk about someone who is going through some sort of trouble in their life. They have a decision to make; they need to choose, but they don't know which way to turn. The person feels alone; like they're not worth anything. The song goes on to say that the person has been deceived, that they are worth more than they know. Here are the lyrics:

Emotive unstable you're like an unwinding cable car
Listening for voices, but it's the choices that make us who we are
Go your own way, even seasons have changed just burn those new leaves over
So self-absorbed you've seemed to ignore the prayers that have already come about

This is the correlation of salvation and love
Don't drop your arms
Don't drop your arms, I'll guard your heart
With quiet words I'll lead you in

La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la
La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la

Backing away from the problem of pain you never had a home
You've been misguided, you're hiding in shadows for so very long
Don't you believe that you've been deceived? that you're no better than...
The hair in your eyes, it never disguised what you're really thinking of

This is the correlation of salvation and love
Don't drop your arms
Don't drop your arms, I'll guard your heart
With quiet words I'll lead you in

This is the correlation of salvation and love
(Don't drop your arms)
Don't drop your arms, I'll guard your heart
With quiet words I'll lead you in

You're so brilliant, don't soon forget
You're so brilliant, grace marks your heart
You're so brilliant, don't soon forget
You're so brilliant, grace marks your heart
You're so brilliant (This is the correlation)
Don't soon forget (Between salvation and love, don't drop your arms)
You're so brilliant (I'll guard your heart)
Grace marked your heart (With quiet words I'll lead you in and out of the dark)

La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la
Don't drop your arms
La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la

This is the correlation of salvation and love (La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la)
(Don't drop your arms)
Don't drop your arms, I'll guard your heart (La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la)
With quiet words I'll lead you in

This is the correlation of salvation and love (La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la)
(Don't drop your arms)
Don't drop your arms, I'll guard your heart (La lalalala, la la la, la lala, la)
With quiet words I'll lead you in

The lyrics are beautiful, and I feel like Jesus is the one speaking, specifically in the chorus and bridge. In the chorus He's saying not to give up, that He'll protect you and catch you when you fall. Many people try to hear God, thinking that He'll speak to them in a loud voice. So many times though, God speaks to us in a gentle whisper. He's saying in this song that with "quiet words" He'll lead you in. In your troubles, God will lead you through. The bridge is God reminding us that we are brilliant and full of grace: if we mess up or make a mistake on our walk, God gives us grace. God provides us with infinite grace, so that we no longer have to live in sin. He doesn't want us to forget that. He tells us that we are brilliant, and we are: we are fearfully and wonderfully made. In God's eyes, we are beautifully created, and so often we tend to forget that.

This song is beautiful, with so much meaning. I encourage you to listen to it, in the youtube video posted in the blog below. 

Thanks for reading :). God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment