Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Relient K.

I've been listening to Relient K for years, and they've remained one of my favorite Christian bands. Although Relient K is not strictly Christian, a lot of their music includes really good messages.


Relient K: the band got it's name from their guitarist's car.


Originated in: Canton, Ohio.


Genre: Rock, Christian Rock, Christian punk, and Alternative; you may determine for yourself.


Albums: Relient K (2000), The Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek (2001), Two Lefts Don't Make a Right...But Three Do (2003), Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hand (2003), Mmhmm (2004), Five Score and Seven Years Ago (2007), Let it Snow Baby...Let it Reindeer (2007), The Bird and the Bee Sides (2008), Forget and Not Slow Down (2009). I may have forgotten a few; Relient K has also put out a lot of EPs.


I can't decide what my favorite Relient K album is; all of them are equally good, and equally different. I loved all of Five Score and Seven Years Ago. Mmhmm is fabulous, with songs like "Who I am Hates Who I've Been" and "Be My Escape" (pretty popular ones), "More Than Useless", and one of my favorites, "When I Go Down". The Bird and the Bee Sides has a lot of good songs on it like "Hope for Every Fallen Man" and "The Lining is Silver". My favorite songs off of their latest CD, Forget and Not Slow Down would be "Candlelight", "Sahara", and "Savannah". Take a listen to them, if you've never listened to them before :). 


Mission: Relient K's main focus is to make good music. A few of the band's members such as lead singer Matt Thiessen and former drummer Dave Douglas are working on their own side projects, producing music. Relient K also starred in the film "Natural High 4", a drug prevention video teaching teens to stay off of drugs and to do their best.


Tour: Starting December 1st, Relient K will begin a Christmas tour, featuring the band Deas Vail (who I have seen play with Mae before, and are very good). The tour will begin in Iowa and will run til December 17th; sadly there will be no venues closer than North Carolina and Ohio to here :(.


Websitehttp://relientk.com/ ; follow their blogs, see their tour dates, and view their store.


The Christian Aspect?: One of my all time favorite Relient K songs has to be Deathbed, an 11 minute-long song off of their album "Five Score and Seven Years Ago". It took me a while to get through the entire song, just because it's so long. But the song tells a story about a man who is lying on his death bed, and he regales his past and everything that brought him to where he is now. At the end of the song, Jesus comes to take the man away, and the man repents of all his sins that he had committed throughout his life. The song is very sad, but very hopeful in the end. My favorite part though, is when the lead singer from the band Switchfoot, Jon Foreman, comes in at the end, singing as the voice of Jesus. This is what he says: 


I am the Way
Follow Me
And take My hand
And I am the Truth
Embrace Me and you'll understand
And I am the Life
And for Me you'll live again
For I am Love
I am Love
I, I am Love 


The song is fantastic, and I really encourage you to listen to it in the youtube clip posted below this blog. Thanks for reading :) God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment